|“||Everybody can do magic.||”|
— Cassie Nightingale, The Good Witch
|Fullname|| Cassandra Nightingale (legal name)|
Sue-Ellen Brock (birth name)
Cassandra "Cassie" Russell (married name, never used)
|Family & Friends|
|Spouse(s)||Jake Russell (husband, deceased)|
|Children|| Grace Russell (daughter)|
Brandon Russell (step-son)
Lori Russell (step-daughter)
|Other Family|| Abigail Merriwick (cousin)|
Elizabeth Merriwick (Grey Lady) (great-great-grandmother)
Laurel Merriwick (great-grandmother)
|Occupation(s)|| Shop Owner |
|Affiliation||Bell, Book and Candle|
|First appearance||The Good Witch|
Cassandra "Cassie" Nightingale is the lead character of the Good Witch series. She owns the Bell, Book & Candle shop on Main Street, as well as Grey House Bed & Breakfast. She is portrayed by actress Catherine Bell.
Personality and Appearance
Cassie is a beautiful woman with a slim build, glossy raven hair and warm brown eyes. She loves and forgives unconditionally, always seeing the best in people and offering help whenever she is able. She has unique gifts of perception and intuition that she uses in very positive ways.
Cassie had a hard life growing up; her real name is Sue-Ellen Brock and she was born to performers who traveled all over Europe. Cassie claims it was a "magical" time in her life. Her parents died in a car crash outside Zürich, and she was sent to a foster family in the United States. Her foster family was so strict they "killed the magic", so she ran away. She ran for the rest of her life until she found Grey House in 2008
The Good Witch Movies
In the Good Witch movies, Cassie finds her true home and purpose in Middleton. She opens the Bell, Book & Candle and immediately begins building relationships and finding ways to help people. She also remodels her ancestral home, Grey House, and restores it to its former glory with elegant interiors and beautiful, well-manicured gardens.
A romantic relationship develops between Cassie and Jake Russell, giving her the opportunity to bond with his whole family. They eventually marry and welcome a daughter of their own, Grace.
- I think knowing how to share our gifts with the world is as important as recognizing what gifts you have to share. Starting Over...Again
- Forgiveness is like love; if it isn't unconditional it doesn't work. Do The Right Thing
- A mistake is like a bump in the road. One bump is not so bad, but if we keep making mistakes, eventually we change the shape of the road forever. The Truth About Lies
- What makes Bell, Book and Candle special is I get to personally deal with every person who comes in. I get to know them, I find out about their problems, their needs. Middleton's my little corner of the world, I like it like that. The Storm
- I'm the great, great-granddaughter and sole surviving heir of Elizabeth Merriwick, the Grey Lady. What's left of her family has finally come home. The Good Witch
- ↑ A conversation between Cassie and Joseph occurs in Episode 2.01 (41:54):
- Joseph: "My great-grandfather, Henry, was engaged to your great grandmother."
- Cassie: "Laurel Merriwick".